Tuesday, February 16, 2016

You Get What You Put In


           Most of my life I’ve been told, “You get what you put in.” Growing up I believed this, I would even have said I knew this, but the older I get it becomes more and more of a reality. And as I look back I realize I really did not understand this principle as much as I thought I did. For me, though, that’s ok. In fact, I actually embrace moments when I think back to my younger self and am somewhat embarrassed because of what I did not know! It’s actually a clue I’m getting wiser (maybe!).
           Over the last few years since I’ve become a pastor I’ve been quite amazed at how much I’ve grown spiritually. The weekly sermon preparation and tasks that are required of a pastor causes one to study the Word of God, pray fervently, and keep spiritual matters at the heart of their life. There is a tremendous responsibility that goes with leading people in their spiritual walk. Furthermore, being in such a position also reveals how much one really needs to learn in order to perform the task adequately—at least that has been the case for me.
I constantly find myself thinking of how I can be a better preacher, pastor, planner. One thing is for sure: I’m thankful for a family and church that encourages me and the tremendous resources that are available for those in ministry. I’m not where I want to be but I do know the kind of work it is going to require to get there. At this point in life I’m all the more reminded of “you get what you put in.”
          This certainly does not limit itself to those in the ministry. In fact, it is especially important for Christians as a whole to be aware of this.  And here is why I’m writing. Please, Christian, know this:

          Your spiritual life is only going to be as good as you make it. As much as anyone I believe in the Sovereignty of God, but God is not going to sovereignly zap you with all types of biblical knowledge, give you godly wisdom, or mature you in the Faith without you consciously and intentionally putting forth the effort. It is going to take daily Bible reading. It is going to take a dedicated prayer life. It means you will need to spend more than one time per week in a church service. You will need to spend time with godly, Christ-focused people. It means you will need to share the gospel with others on a regular basis. And it means you will have to be involved in outward ministry of some sorts. If any of these are lacking I promise your spiritual life will not be what it could be.
          The question we all have to ask ourselves is this: What kind of spiritual life do I want? There is joy unspeakable in a life lived wholeheartedly for the Lord, I can attest to that. As a pastor one of my desires is for people to experience that joy. Start today. Start putting into the Faith what you want out of it. I promise, you will not be disappointed.



           

No comments:

Post a Comment